Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:59:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Robin Shadlow <rshadlow@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [iris] Re: Broken Colour

Anyone who is interested in unraveling more genetics may want to read the article on the petunia research that Kelly mentioned. Granted it is very technical, but if you slog through it slowly and look up the unfamiliar terms
on Wikipedia, it really does go through some of the most interesting
techniques being used.

Here"s the link:

So much gene expression occurs at the transcriptional level (DNA to RNA) and we know next to nothing about what is going on in irises. It doesn"t make it easier that two very different alterations in the anthocyanin pathway may look
the same since the end result- no or inhibited anthocyanin is all we can
observe in the garden.

It does occur to me that doing sequencing analysis on a Broken Color iris from
plicata breeding may be useful in locating (mapping) the plicata allele
itself. If we can locate this gene, it at least gives us a starting point to so many things such as exploring where the difference is that gives rise to
the Puccini/Expose pattern.

The most fun thing about doing sequencing may be selecting the cultivars to
start with.

Robin Shadlow
Zone 5 NE