HYB: Traits: Pod vs Pollen

  • Subject: HYB: Traits: Pod vs Pollen
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" <MryL1@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:54:47 -0500

I probably should have also mentioned I had a maiden potted
in the house this fall of 03-325ARE X Renown that was yellow
with all-over glitter (even indoors).  Stunted stalk and lots of
very small blooms, so decided to wait on a photo. I will be
pushing for glitter rebloomers with Renown, Prince George,
Designer Gown and a few seedlings.

My experience with maiden bloom seems to be much different
than yours.  Subsequent years generally bring more buds and
branches, but no changes for the worse than are not temporary
and due to either ridiculous weather or overcrowding.

I haven't seen any of what I'd call "wild things" from Clarence
either.  Nearly all selfs.  I do remember a tall, red-violet version
of Clarence pattern from the 06 crop.  5 buds. Makes me wonder
what they were crossing it with.

I agree, it's frustrating.  Always seem to be giving up something
to get something else.  But then, if it was easy, it wouldn't be
so absorbing.

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5