Re: HYB: Traits: Pod vs Pollen

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Traits: Pod vs Pollen
  • From: autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:27:13 -0500

After my last post, I realized I'd left out a number of irises, which I consider still worthy of use. ?So far, I've not had weather and bloom support.? In addition to others, I've plans to use:

1) Earl of Essex-this has been used so much but I'd still use it as pollen parent if the right cross pops up.? (height) I've tended to use it's children rather than using it.?

2) Silver Dividends due to it's genetic contribution.? I believe it to be a combination of Lloyd's strongest rebloomers.? (research) May have smoother hafts which are a personal favorite.??It may?be a bit tender here.? Haven't tried it, yet, due to two bad bloom seasons.

3)? Grace Thomas due to it's form.? The blooms weren't great in last year's crazy spring, but I'm hoping for better and it will go into the new breeding bed.?

4)? Platinum. . . . due to?it's combined parentage.??

5)? Violet Miracle . . . I will use it again due to height, but I may use it as pollen parent on taller rebloomers.?

6) Victoria Falls . . . I gave up on this one years ago due to it's tendency to pass on the falling stalks, but I've a special cross I plan to make with 'I Do' as pollen parent.??I'm curious to see what?the cross will produce. ?

My garden contains a huge number of more recent rebloom irises, all?categories. ?I've included several already: Breaking News, Dignity Dancer, Sharpshooter, Sweet Musette, Romantic Evening, Hello Darkness, Chinese New Year, Holiday Parade, Decadence, Mountain Sunrise, Louisa's Song, Enchanter, Cloud Berry, Cordoba, Enjoy the Party, Shire, Impulsive, Man About Town, Mastery & Rio.? There are many others.?

Part of my maiden bloom?experience may be due to fall bloom in cooler weather.? At least this is what I've thought.? Cool weather tends to give deeper color and tighter form.??It's rare that my springs stay cool, with this past one being an exception. More often they heat up too fast.? My summers are hot for sure.? Summer bloom often results in less organized blooms than during a cool fall.? (Read uglier!)?

Bud count can improve in subsequent years.? Any time I get discouraged about bud count, I just think of Dusky Challenger.?

Height sometimes gets worse.? One of my best rebloomers is unlikely to be introduced.??Registered as Sweet Addiction, I'm hoping for something taller in it's children.? It seemed tall enough in the beginning, but it hasn't been able to maintain the height.?? Unfortunately, it's pod fertile only (so far) and I'm trying not to be too hopeful of the children.? Seedlings from Arctic Fox?have some of the strongest roots?I've seen, but I've yet to see the blooms.?

Could be I just get too excited over the new things!?? <smile> Then in the spring, I may be overwhelmed by the weight of total bloom.?

As to the frustration, I think it's more me than the irises.? I do get frustrated, in part from my own limitations, and in part the recent weather problems.?

My photo collection is helping this year.??I put all of this year's exciting new blooms (2008) in a folder and printed it out.? Not perfect, but some gorgeous blooms to?help beat off the non-bloom season frustrations.?
?
Betty W.
KY
Zone 6