Re: REB: Forever Blue & Autumn Twilight?
  • Subject: Re: REB: Forever Blue & Autumn Twilight?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 09:15:23 -0500

Hi Phloid. It's been a long time ago, but I bought every G.P. Brown cultivar they had from Winterberry Gardens. I became interested in them after reading comments about how hardy they were plus their rebloom traits. At the time, I didn't have anything with strong enough modern form that would thrive here in 'iris hell' to cross them with. I keep meaning to ask Ginny if they still have Summer Whitewings and Summer Greenshadows, Autumn Ora. They did well here for several years, but I'm afraid the weeds and drought got them before I had anything I wanted to use with them.

The two of his that have survived here are September Chereau and Autumn Twilight. SC hasn't been thriving, but replaces itself and often reblooms late summer, but plicata seems to be the one pattern we already have plenty of in strong rebloomers, so no temptation to use that one. Autumn Twilight seems to really like it here.

I only made one cross - Autumn Twilight X Renown, which made a big leap forward in form, but not as much as I'd hoped for using Renown. I now have some better things to try with it that are more likely to jump form forward and have more of the 'summer' rebloom genes (IMM type, no idea at this point what they are compatible with as far as same kind of rebloom).

I have plenty of it that I can share.

Do you grow IMM?

Where are you located? east coast mts or west?  Different set of stresses.