Re: REB: Forever Blue & Autumn Twilight?
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: REB: Forever Blue & Autumn Twilight?
  • From: Phloid <phloid@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 21:51:14 -0500

Hello;
I just got Summer Whitewings this summer from Winterberry. I want to give it to second season for taking starts but happy to share some if it does well. Will keep your offer of Autumn Twilight in mind. I am interested in historic rebloomers and have some things getting hard to get. Will cut out a list from my Excel sheet and send you - maybe a week or two on that. I was shocked when I learned Winterberry was the only source of Violet Miracle. Such a pivotal iris in re hybridizing history you would think that would be enough to keep a few growers offering it. Thankfully I got it from them. They had Northern Spy listed but weren't able to send. Hopefully they will offer in 2014.

But back to Brown: I am hoping one day to find September Butterfly and Summer Fantasy. They are both Summer Whitewings X Lugano. Lugano is the only F. Cayeux I've seen referred to as re.. I don't know of a US source and may eventually make arrangements to get some from Europe.

I like older form and wish there was still room on the TB catwalk for distinctly tailored. There still is some with MTB and dwarfs but already the drive is toward dolling it up too much for my taste. There are many older tailored irises but few cool climate re. I think there is a gardener's market for good cultural habits, good re and tailored, especially in selfs. Doll awards or not. oh Lord - enough already Shaub.

I'm in the NC mts just outside of Asheville. Moved here 7 years ago from Raleigh-Durham area. Still learning the differences climate presents to my gardening. Asheville recently got changed to Z7 but terrain is so important. I consider myself to still be Z6. I am on 3 ac with a creek btm and rise of 50 ft at high ground. There is noticeable difference in night temps between the two year round. Eventually I want to do some informal testing by planting like re cvs in the btm and the top and see if re initiation varies. I'm beginning to suspect I might have trouble with early season TB/BB bloomers due to temp fluctuations and "late" frosts in spring. One notable thing here is that 90+ deg days are few and 96 is the hottest temp I've recorded at my place. Nice feature at these latitudes! :)

I've had IMM for years so as you can imagine I have some big clumps of it. An established clump will crank up mid-Aug and bloom until cut down by freeze. lol - actually to the point you don't pay much attention to it.

Happy Holidays!
Shaub