C. & K. Smith

In my spare time , I've been compiling lists of introductions of NY
hybridizers, for use in gathering iris for an "Empire State Iris " bed for
the HIPS convention.  The Smith's were from Staten Island, which is not part
of Region 2 at present, but was at some point in the past.  So, I've also
been reading old bulletins to find out when Staten Island was separated from
our Region.
To make a long story short, I've got a partial list of the Smith's intros.,
should have it complete and double-checked by the end of the month. Also
found some great articles about the Syracuse convention.
The kicker, for me, was finding out Harry Shaffer, a hybridizer in the 50s,
lived two blocks from me here on Washington Rd.  No irises left in that yard,
but there are some 50s-looking ones across the street, so will be talking to
the older residents on the street.
Kathryn Mohr, zone 5 , near Albany NY, where I've finally finished cleaning
my iris beds, and it's snowing!