Iris laevigata

Happy New Year to everyone.

In November 1995 I decided to give myself a Christmas present and sent
off $90US for Arika Horinaka's book "The Pictorial Book of Iris
laevigata".  Since that time, I have written to the author a number of
times to try to find out what happened to my order, knowing full well
that he had suffered terribly during the earthquake.  He replied in
English but no book arrived until today, 14 months later!  If you are
interested in irises and do not have this book, pursuade someone to give
it to you as a anniversary, birthday, wedding, etc. present.  Any reason
you can think of to get a copy!

It is almost entirely in Japanese but there are a few chapters that have
been translated and the pictures are all labelled in English and
Japanese.  The very wide range of colours and varieties of this species
is quite extraordinary and very exciting.  My favourite is the pure
white Shirotae but it is only just a little more beautiful than the ten
or twelve others that are almost my favourite.

the book was published in 1990 and is available from Akira Horinaka
himself at "Oide-Cho 9-31, Nishinomiya 662, Japan".  I have no idea how
one can be assured of receiving a copy within a reasonable length of
time.  The publisher is Abocsha Co. Limited but there is no address and
I believe that Arika published this book privately.