Lloyd Zurbrigg wrote:

:   Was CAPITOLA one of the  2 aril 2TB  sorts? By its parentage it seems it
:   could be.

Yes.  It has two sets of aril chromosomes and two sets of TB chromosomes -- and
because its grandparents were species we also know that one of those sets of
aril chromosomes came from I. iberica and the other set came from I. gatesii.

It was one of those gifts every hybridizer hopes for and none count on, from a
cross that "shouldn't" work:  WILLIAM MOHR X IB-MAC.  William Mohr was a diploid
oncobred, a type that rarely exhibits any fertility because the chromosomes
can't pair normally.  Ib-Mac was a true amphidiploid -- a special type of fully
fertile tetraploid.  So Ib-Mac's normal pollen fertilized an unreduced gamete
from Wm. Mohr and the fully fertile tetraploid, CAPITOLA, was born.

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)