Clarence writes...

>Over the years I have heard many "old timers" say that WABASH was not much of
>a parent, but the fact that it is a "grandparent" of HELEN COLLINGWOOD would
>certainly belie that opinion.  I personally believe that HELEN COLLINGWOOD is
>one of the very best garden irises ever!

HELEN is one of the very few iris that we tout as a superb perennial to
non-iris-besotted gardeners. I class its growability in with the plants
that thrive in cracks in sidewalks....

I have been laying back in the weeds waiting for someone to mention the
medal winner that has WABASH in its background but no one has risen to the
hook so here goes...

Bennett Jones' superb COTTON BLOSSOM, winner of the Cook-Douglas Medal in
1975 has WABASH as one of its great-grandparents. COTTON BLOSSOM is behind
Markey Smith's lines, thus I expect to see Wabash figure a bit more
prominently in Medal winners backgrounds in the future.

Best regards,

Mike,  mikelowe@tricities.net   --   http://www.tricities.net/~mikelowe/
South Central Virginia, USA
USDA Zone 7A, pH-5.4,  very sandy loam
185 to 205 frost free growing days per year -- clouds of bloom on three
clumps of unguic's! (straight species, Walter Butt and a John Weiler