Re: Remontants or rebloomers.

Arthur wrote:
> :       The question is again about reboomers and remontants,  I will write
>  or rather
> :: copy what I found in the BIS booklet.
> :
> : REMONTANT: of all heights, these have two major bloom seasons; one at the
> : normal time and the other during the Autumn.
> :
> : REPEAT BLOOMER: which, having had a good go at the normal time, continue
> : put up additional spikes until the autumn. They, too, come in all sizes.
> :
> : To my way of thinking as soon as they write They, Too,  it separates the
> : above.
> : The only answer that I can find or think of is that not all rebloomers
> are
> : Remontant, but depending on the season and locality zone makes them
> : rebloomers.
> : Sorry about coming with this again but it's been annoying me.
> : Arthur.

I believe the British have written these definitions for their own
climate.  Here, especially in the warmer climates we can have iris bloom
(rebloom) at any time of the year.  I have some varieties which bloom in
the spring and bloom again in the middle of summer.  Some like the IB
Low Ho Silver bloom continuously.  I have varieties blooming now. All
classes.  SDB, IB and TB.  If our low temperatures stay above freezing I
could get bloom the year around like we did last year.

I grow 1300 iris of which around 300 are classified as rebloomers.  From
my experience there are different type of rebloomers.

1.  Those that bloom in the spring and fall.

2.  Those that bloom spring, summer.

3.  Those that bloom spring, summer, fall.

4.  Those that bloom spring, winter.

5.  Those that bloom continuously.

6.  Those that can bloom in the fall but miss the spring or vice versa.
(Very few here thankfully as I do not consider this a good trait).

The BIS may have covered all avenues for their climate but it is
different here.

Neither the word "Remontant" or "Rebloom" is listed in my Random House
dictionary, so these words are open for interpretation.  However, like I
mentioned before, American irisians use these words interchangably.  And
most consider a iris that blooms "again" out of the normal spring season
to be a rebloomer/remontant.

Rick Tasco