Re: rebloomers

> Quite a few years ago, I got a catalog from Bernice Miller in Alabama, in
> which she talked about how some bearded iris seem to need lime and others do
> best under slightly acid conditions.  Her experimental observation (as I
> recall) was that iris bred in the naturally alkaline soils of the more arid
> parts of the United States (mostly the southwest I think she said) need lime,
> but those from the soggy east do better in more acid conditions.

Yes, but what about us lucky souls with little rainfall and rocky, limey
soil like the SW, but the clay and humidity of the SE?

Ah Texas.  Yet, TBs are very popular here and believe it or not are sold
as no-care perennials.  As long as you don't have heart set on keeping
specific cvs going...

BTW... does anyone have a list of a few LA Iris I could try?  I cannot
provide as much acid but I do have a sunny, swampy area.

Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@austx.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b
*or* amyr@mpd.tandem.com
Jill O. *Trades, Mistress O. {}