Re: Remontants or rebloomers.

> : REMONTANT: of all heights, these have two major bloom seasons; one at the
> : normal time and the other during the Autumn.

A remontant, which can be any height (BB, IB, TB) is one that blooms "at
the normal time" (usually spring) and then again, usually during the

> : REPEAT BLOOMER: which, having had a good go at the normal time, continue
> : put up additional spikes until the autumn. They, too, come in all sizes.
> :
> : To my way of thinking as soon as they write They, Too,  it separates the
> : above.

No, it is just silly English, which is difficult to understand.  the
"they, too" connects the two types  by saying that both types can be of
varying heights (BB, IB, TB).  The distinguishing factor is instead of
having two peak bloom periods, repeat bloomers can bloom throughout the
spring, summer, and fall.  This is like roses:  many older roses bloom
once during the spring and might rebloom in fall, while most modern roses
have been bred to bloom throughout the summer.

> : The only answer that I can find or think of is that not all rebloomers
> are
> : Remontant, but depending on the season and locality zone makes them
> : rebloomers.
> : Sorry about coming with this again but it's been annoying me.

While it is true that variations between climates, and variations from
year to year in the weather of a specific site, will affect rebloom and
its timing, rebloomer is more or less the same term as remontant.  The
above two patterns describe two patterns of iris that bloom more than
once a year.

Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@austx.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b
*or* amyr@mpd.tandem.com