Re: Haft Markings

Leon Adams Jr wrote:

> Clarence,
> My question is why try to eliminate the haft markings? Is this strictly a
> matter of personal preference? I hope so because I really like the haft
> markings, in fact the bolder the better for my taste. Is this something AIS
> judges would use as points against an Iris?
>
> Jefrie Jenkins
> Kent, WA zone 5, AIS region 13

Jefrie,

The Judge's Handbook states: "Haft colorings must be judged on the basis
of whether they add to or detract from the appearance of the flower.".
I suppose this could be somewhat subjective.  In the handbook the haft
colorings come under flower color which is worth only 5 points on "the
scale of points".  So if a judge did have a problem with the haft marks
they should only deduct up to the 5 points.  I did not research other
types of iris but was refering to tall beardeds.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8.5