Re: Haft Markings

Donald and Jefrie

Here is what the Judges' Handbook says about haft markings in the section on
Garden Judging:

Haft colorings must be judged on the basis of whether they add to or detract
from the appearance of the flower. "Rough" is a term which usually describes
unpleasant color application, although intense haft colorings can be quite
attractive. Sometimes these vein colorations do not extend far enough down the falls to be conspicuous, and these hafts are said to be "smooth".

**
I do not find haft colorings mentioned in the section on exhibition judging
of tall bearded (I'm assuming you are talking about TB's)(a quick look thru
the sections on other classes also does not have a mention of haft colorings)
What is mentioned over and over again (and I'll just guess (G) that Clarence
would say -- "The color must be typical of the variety..." and if the
variety includes haft markings and this is an introduced variety, I'd guess
that judges must include haft colorings not as a detraction, but whether this
is typical of the variety.

**
It seems that the criteria that judges must consider have to do with clarity of
color, freshness as shown by substance which affects color.  Here's a guide -
"Occasional splotches and patches of untypical color will sometimes occur
in the petals due to weather vagaries or virus. In such cases, the entry
will score no points for color"

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY