Re: MAYTAG RED returns!

At 07:19 AM 12/28/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Chris writes:
>Two things that I wanted to ask about;
>1. I had heard reports of the clean scent of this iris, very unusual,
>somewhat like fresh windblown laundry on the line in the yard. Please
>confirm.

Yes, this iris has been described by many as having a fresh scent. Although,
as you are well aware, fresh scent is interpreted differently by each
individual's olfactory senses.  For some the scent is like that of a new
computer fresh from the factory box; others the smell of new one hundred
dollar bills; and for many gardeners, it's closer to the earthy smell of
fresh garden compost.

>2. What is the parentage of this iris? I had heard it could be TALL
>TALES x WILLIAM GATES or TALL TALES x MACINTOSH. Please confirm... I do
>know for sure that there is some Iris siliconica in the genetic
>background.

Actually the parentage is PERSIAN BERRY x WILLIAM GATES. Of course TALL
TALES is in the ancestry for many highly acclaimed TB's.  I've also noted
that several of the better known seed catalogs, that I have recently
received, appear to have many offspring from what is obviously TALL TALES or
COLOR ENHANCEMENT.  Looks like MAYTAG RED has some competition and they even
have the nerve to sell them at a discount - 1 offer for about $6.00.

>Waiting in antici......pation for this years crop release of MAYTAG RED!

Despite the overwhelming demand for MAYTAG RED, it has not been heavily
"cropped".

-Donald

Donald Mosser
AIS, HIPS, SIGNA, SPCNI, and IRIS-L