Re: Haft Markings

<< My question is why try to eliminate the haft markings? Is this strictly a
 matter of personal preference? I hope so because I really like the haft
 markings, in fact the bolder the better for my taste. Is this something AIS
 judges would use as points against an Iris? >>

I certainly agree that haft markings can be an attractive feature of an iris
flower.  In fact, as an immodest self-serving example I will assert than my
own MTB introduction REMINISCENCE has distinctive haft markings which I find
quite nice.  However,  irises without haft markings are also lovely.  Most
people, when faced with two similar irises, one with bold haft markings and
one with no visible haft markings, will choose the one without haft markings.
 And many irise breeders have been working to achieve haft markings for many
decades.

The AIS standards for judging irises do not fault haft markings...the
standards only require that they be an appealing feature of the flower---and
that, of course, is a subjective, personal judgement.  The point I was making
about recessive amoena irises is that it is the one field where hybridizers
have tried and tried to produce flowers without haft markings but fairly well
failed.  It remains a challenge...which is what iris breeders like.

Many iris growers do not like haft markings, and the popularity of recessive
amoena pattern irises has suffered in popularity because of this. I happen to
find the recessive amoenas very lovely, haft markings and all.    But then,
too, I often find attractive what many others do not.  Clarence Mahan in VA