Re: sterility (was Hot colour iris performance in UKJennifer & Amanda)

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: sterility (was Hot colour iris performance in UKJennifer & Amanda)
  • From: Z88KEYS@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 13:57:00 -0500

Goodness, Linda, I doubt I can give a percentage of the blues without pollen,
but maybe as high as 50%.  Many blues comes from SNOW FLURRY back a ways, and
it was completely pollen sterile.  I have been trying for many years to get a
really good blue remontant. Many times when I have wanted to cross seedlings
I will run up against no pollen.   It aprrently is true in the SDB category
also, according to John and Lucy Burton , and I was delighted that one of my
SDb's from pumila on tall Space-Agers, has ample pollen, whereas many of them
do NOT. Mention was made of sterility in recessive amoenas  and there is some
in the Blyth bicolors. I cannot think of other  colors with a problem right
now,  but the aril-breds are notoriously difficult. Now that there are a few
fertile tetraploids among the aril-breds, the difficulty should ease up.
 Lloyd Z  Durham N. C.