Re: Tennessee Irisarians

<< The '80's checklists only mention two hybridizers -
 Jim Brown, Memphis, and William T. Bledsoe, Fayetteville, >>

I think you mean Jim Browne of Memphis, who was General Chairman of the last
AIS convention held in Memphis, and is also General Chairman for the 2002
convention to be held in that great river city.

Another iris breeder in Tennessee is John Pierce of Cordova, TN.  Each year
he discards seedlings better than most irises that are registered and
introduced.  John Pierce is an AIS "national treasure".  He is one of the
wisest and kindest men I have ever known in my life.  He was an AIS member
back in the days when such greats as B. Y. Morrison and John Wister were
still alive and active in the Society---and he has wonderful iris tales to
tell.  If you give John a call and arrange a visit to his lovely garden and
iris patch, you can learn more about irises in an afternoon than you could
from years of book learnin'.  Clarence Mahan in VA