Re: sterility (was Hot colour iris performance in UKJennifer & Amanda)

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: sterility (was Hot colour iris performance in UKJennifer & Amanda)
  • From: Z88KEYS@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 19:16:58 -0500

Linda: I hope someone gives a scientific explanation, though I doubt it can
be a very simple one.  It is true that some of our varieties are not exactly
 48 chromosomes.  However, I doubt that is a main reason for sterility.
 GRACE THOMAS , one parent of JENNIFER REBECCA, is pod fertile only , but
VANITY, the other parent, is quite fertile either way.  SNOW FLURRY  was
famous for being a fertile pod parent, but did not produce pollen.  I just
consider it a given characteristic of the plant., and stop thinking about it.
 The pinks, as a group, have been quite fertile both ways, as have the
plicatas.  In the blues one often finds no pollen. Hope this chit-chat is of
some value to you, Linda.  Lloyd Zurbrigg  Durham, N.C.