Re: Iris Activity in New England

In a message dated 96-12-26 21:34:28 EST, Ellen wrote:

<<  Really? Does this just refer to Southern New England or the real >
 >         New England which everyone knows is Vermont, Maine and New Hamp-
 >         shire? :-) >>

Oops, well, guess I didn't know that.  I was thinking primarily of Elizabeth
Nesmith,  from Lowell, Mass.  Rick Tasco has already mentioned a bit about
her.  She was a charter member of AIS, BTW.

Other prominent names and gardens of the period were primarily in Mass., and
Conn., at least the ones I was thinking of.

But NH did boast 2 AIS iris test gardens; one at Durham, U. of NH,
established in 1927, and one at Keene, Keene Normal School, est. 1929.   :-)

Dorothy Fingerhood
Newfield, NY