flower books (off topic)

	Carolyn S. wrote:

>My son-in-law's incredibly beautiful wife, who is also my daughter, gave me
>Dictionary of Plant Names, botanical names and their common name equivalents,
>published by Timber Press. "Invaluable information abut botanical names,
>their contry of origiin, meaning and pronunciation", and "Interesting facts
>at your fingertips"
>
>	It lists an incredibly large number of species (?) iris.

	I had made out a wish list which consisted largely of plant books
	and received two that I would recommend. One was also from Timber
	Press, `Peonies' by Allan Rogers, that I wanted for some time.
	It includes a section on landscaping with peonies and I see the
	author of that section included irises which I do  since peonies
	and irises (Siberians, especially) bloom at about the same time.

	At the Mass Medley, the peonies and Siberians were just breathtaking
	in their bloom season at the Schafer/Sacks garden, especially.

	The other book is `Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Perennials',
	by Ellen Phillips and C. Colston Burrell and published by Rodale's
	Press in Emmaus, PA but distributed by St. Martin's Press. The
fronti-
	piece includes a *mission* statement by Rodale, "We publish books that
	empower people's lives". (?)

	So, I am ready and willing to be `empowered'. :-))

	Meanwhile, this encylopedia (one volume) is chocked-full of neat
	ideas about organic flower gardening and the handsome photos and
	 garden plans which are sorely needed here - I have been
	sticking in plants or seeds where I had tilled land and it
	looks it. Time for massive moving of plants.....and actually putting
	something down on paper. Work not just fun. :-((

	I think my husband thought I had `enough' books on irises (seven is
	not many was my mantra on Christmas). I though my children would come
	though with an iris book but no dice. :-(

	Another gift is a bookcase (still in the works in our basement
	for my flower book and bulletins, etc.

	Actually, it is my gift to them - every table-top is covered with my
	flower-stuff and the bookcases are overflowing with my `junk' as my
	eldest son put it. They also think I need to be unplugged from my
	various e-mail lists - they think I have a *problem* bordering on
	addiction. I am going to cut down as a New Year's resolution to my
	family. :-(

	Peace,

Ellen Gallagher
e_galla@moose.ncia.net