Re: Tennessee

In a message dated 96-12-26 11:09:10 EST, Linda wrote:

<< Greg McCullough said
 >in the 1930s and 40s Nashville was the center of the iris universe.

 I wonder why that tradition hasn't continued?    <snip>
 What happened? >>

Dorothy comments:   It wasn't just Tennesee, Linda.  I've been perusing AIS
bulletins of the 20's-40's lately, and there were many areas of hot and heavy
iris activity in the easterm U.S. in those days.  It was a revelation to me
to discover that the AIS national meeting and garden tours took place in
Ithaca, NY in 1929!  But Ithaca was small potatoes compared to the activity
in New England.

The iris activity seems to have moved west in earnest after WWII, along with
much of  American focus.  Probably perfectly understandable to anyone who's
grown bearded irises in both east and west.

It is fascinating to look at these old accounts.  Here is probably where I
should plug HIPS--the Historic Iris Preservation Society Section of the AIS.
 "Preserving irises, iris records and artifacts for future needs."

Annual membership:   $5.00
Triennial     "             $12.00

Send to: Ada Godfrey, 9 Bradford St., Foxborough, MA  02035

And note--several of our Highly Esteemed list members are also HIPS life
members!

Dorothy Fingerhood
DFingerhoo@aol.com
Newfield, NY