Re: sterility (was Hot colour iris performance in UKJennifer & Amanda)

Lloyd Z said
>AMY:  JENNIFER REBECCA  AND AMANDA ERIN, the irises,  are unrelated, and I
>would gladly cross them, but the former is close to completely sterile

Can anyone elaborate on sterility in tall bearded iris cultivars such as J R?
 Why, how... I don't know what to ask.  Are some sterile because they aren't
true tetraploids?  Or does anybody know what causes the sterility?

avoiding chores on a rainy day.