Re: Tennessee

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:
> Greg McCullough said
> >in the 1930s and 40s Nashville was the center of the iris universe.
> I wonder why that tradition hasn't continued?  I know there are still a lot
> of active AIS clubs in and around Nashville, but I don't hear much about
> award winning bearded iris currently being hybridized in Nashville or
> elsewhere in Tennessee.  The '80's checklists only mention two hybridizers -
> Jim Brown, Memphis, and William T. Bledsoe, Fayetteville, and the '90s
> checklists that I have only list Gary Sides, Lewisburg.
> What happened?

William T. Bledsoe passed away sometime ago and Gary Sides (who is
lurking here somewhere) moved to Massachusetts.  It takes dedication and
perservance by people to continue a long range hybridizing program.
Sometimes luck is a factor, as you may have the above, but circumstances
revolving around ones personal life may prevent continuing the program.
Maybe you can ignite a new hybridizing group within your own iris club.
We need more hybridizers from the East!

Rick Tasco
Central California-- Rain today.
Zone 8.5