Re: iris dreams/solstice/WABASH X MULBERRY ROSE

<< A well known hybridizer told me long ago to "cross the best with the
 best".  In my experience this is turning out to be true.  This is, of
 course, your interested in producing an award winning iris.  >>

D. C. Nearpass told me quite a few years ago that if one crosses two pretty
pink irises and grows about 2,000 seedlings, one is almost certain to get a
pink iris better than either of its parents.  But he also pointed out that
this will not likely create any great advances or break throughs in iris
breeding.  He said since his space was limited and he could not grow large
numbers of seedlings, he decided early on to master the study of the
genetics, and to apply this to specific goals in iris breeding.  He also was
the first to tell me about Paul Cook and the use of iris species to get great
genetic breaks, such as PROGENITOR leading to the dominant amoena pattern,

Work with I. pallida, such as Linda has done, is not likely to result in any
awards in the near future, as you point out.  But, the vigor of I. pallida
worked back into tall bearded irises could result in irises less susceptible
to such problems as rot, or in other advances. Working with iris species is
real "hybridizing" and not for the faint of heart.  But the potential payoff
is great.  Clarence Mahan in VA