Re: iris dreams/solstice/WABASH X MULBERRY ROSE

<< Notice Tennessee is
 in the one part of the country Clarence didn't mention in his list of irises
 ideal for certain regions.  However,  I. cristata does like our moist woods
 and mountain roadbanks. >>

Many, many types of irises thrive in all areas of Tennessee.  At the Memphis
convention a few years ago I saw some of the best grown tall bearded irises I
have seen any place in the U.S.  Siberians were also very healthy, and
peforming outstandingly (It was at the Memphis convention that I first saw
Joan Cooper's outstanding Siberian LINDA MARY, one of the very best Siberian
irises around, and a far better performer than many that have won the
Morgan-Wood Medal).

At the Memphis convention I saw iris heaven at the garden of John Pierce,
whose long border of I. tectorum in full bloom was spectacular.  I have seen
bearded irises growing magnificently in Nashville, Knoxville, and at
Tennessee sites north, south, east and west.  Nashville, Tennessee was one of
the first really great centers of iris growing in the first half century of
AIS.  And, as you know, the beautiful state of Tennessee, home of my maternal
ancestors, is the only state wise enough to have the iris as its state
flower.  Take that, Linda!!!!  Cheers, Clarence Mahan in VA, but who thinks
the mountains of Tennessee are the most beautiful place in America.