Re: iris dreams/solstice/WABASH X MULBERRY ROSE

Rick Tasco wrote
>Chivalry won the Dykes Medal in 1947.
>It was hybridized by Jesse Wills of Nashville, Tennessee.

Let's see, that fits right in with my setting hybridizing back 50 yrs....: )

Clarence said
<Working with iris species is real "hybridizing" and not for the faint of
heart>

Goodness!  I thought I was just ignorantly blundering around dabbing pollen
on stuff I like!  If I had read the World of Iris first, I never would have
even tried it.

<Clarence Mahan in VA,.... thinks the mountains of Tennessee are the most
beautiful place in America.> and more praise for iris in Tennessee.

Well, sure they are! : ) Next time you visit, drive the road from Tellico
Plains, Tennessee, to Robbinsville, NC through Cherokee and Nantahala
National Forests.  Wow.  Stop by to see Bald River Falls on the way. I had a
beautiful, if not extensive, display of iris in my most rot infested bed last
spring when everyone else was bemoaning the terrible year for iris.  Yup -
Tennessee is a good place to grow just about any type of iris, partly because
the climate is so variable from year to year.  We even had some years a while
back that would have been good for arils.

Rick and Clarence - one of the advantages to selecting tough iris babies here
is that nothing else will live very long.  Cuts way back on the number of
seedlings to evaluate and space requirements! : )

It would be fun to get some I. cristata genes mixed with tall bearded genes
to have tall showy iris that would grow in east Tennessee's humid but
intermittently dry shaded yards.  Not an opportunity for casual pollen
daubing, I think.

Also a tetraploid version of I. pallida - I seem to be a bit too disorganized
to make one myself.

Should have put that all on my Christmas wish list!  Looking forward to at
least one more iris baby that I like a lot somwhere down the line, regardless
of awards. : )