Re: Gentle Rain

CEMahan@aol.com wrote:

> One of the nicest plicata tall bearded irises ever introduced (and the
> earliest to bloom!) is Keith Keppel's GENTLE RAIN.  Although now considered
> an "older" iris, its early bloom and great vigor still make it a valuable
> garden asset.
>  Clarence Mahan in VA

Clarence,

I agree all the way about GENTLE RAIN, and our customers must also as we
sell quite a lot of it every year.  One of the attributes we like the
most is its'   L  O  N  G    bloom period.  No, it doesn't rebloom or
repeat bloom for us, and it doesn't have an extraordinary amount of
blossoms per stalk, but it just seems to bloom and bloom and bloom and
last forever.

It's isn't real early for us per se, but once it starts to bloom, it
does so for weeks and weeks it seems like!!  And going back to a topic
quite abused several weeks back--it often sends up multiple bloom stalks
from the same rhizome for us here!

Hope you all are in the midst of a very Merry Christmas Day.  It's a
little gloomy here weather-wise with high clouds, no sun yet, and temps
are in the upper 40s en route to a high in the middle 50s.  Low last
night was 34.

Rick Tasco
Cathey's Valley, CA
Zone 8.5