Re: SYVANSHINE

<< Yes, sylvanshine is a light related phenomenon noted by Alistair B. Fraser
 as retroreflection of light in dew covered trees or plants. No, I'm not a
 walking computer, but just a good web searcher. >>

Oh, Donald, you are a swift one, and, of course, right on the mark.  But Ian
Efford's description as "shining in the woods" is a bit more poetic, and
probably how the average Joe would describe the phenomenon once he had
experienced it.

I read an article on this phenomenon in the NY Times sometimes back, and was
fascinated because I had experienced it a number of times in our woods when I
was a child in Ohio.  The article pointed out that it occurs only with
certain types of trees and plants (e.g. blue spruce but note pines).  The
stucture and texture of the leaf is an important factor.  In any event,
anyone who has experienced it does not forget it!

The NY Times article gave this as an example of the experience of
sylvanlight.  One is travelling on a dark road on a summer night.  Rounding
the bend, the forest is suddenly drenched in dazzling white light, giving it
the appearance of a winter wonderland.  It is a remarkable experience...very
eerie and beautiful.

The white setosa seedling Carol Warner and I have given the name SYLVANSHINE
has a lovely somewhat rounded form and gives the impression of a white
glow....ergo, the name.  Kudos to Donald, Ian and Linda.  Cheers, Clarence
Mahan in VA