Garden Quotes Book

The recent messages regarding references to irises in literature reminds me
of a wonderful book titled A GARDENER'S BOUQUET OF QUOTATIONS by Maria P.
Robbins (Dutton, 1993, $18 US, hardback).  I'm pretty sure this little
volume (270 small pages) is still in print.

The major fault of this volume is its lack of an index.  And, without an
index, I could not easily locate any iris quotes.  But, I randomly came
across these quotes I suspect any iris fancier will appreciate:

"Compared to gardeners, I think it is generally agreed that others
understand very little about anything of consequence." -- Henry Mitchell

"There seems to be so much more winter than we need this year."
                                        --Kathleen Norris

"I don't believe the half I hear,
Nor the quarter of what I see!
But I have one faith, sublime and true,
That nothing can shake or slay:
Each spring I firmly believe anew
All the seed catalogues say!
        -- Carolyn Wells

"Old gardeners never die...they just spade away."  -- Muriel Cox

Happy New Year all ye Irisarians!

Tom Dillard
Little Rock, Arkansas
USDA Zone 7
(20 degrees F this morning but a sunny day)