Re: Violet Plicatas and Iris books

At 05:19 PM 12/25/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Of the scores and scores of violet plicata tall bearded irises introduced
in the last 30 >years, if I could only grow three these would be GENTLE
>SONG.  They grow well in all parts of the North America, have long blooming
>periods, produce an abundance of color over a long time, and have fairly nice
>foliage most of the time...Clarence Mahan in VA

I only have one of these mentioned above, JESSE'S SONG, which I just planted
this past summer. However, I noted that JESSE'S SONG was off and running
with large beautiful fans long before the others were even "out of the
gate".  I'm looking forward to watching this one bloom next spring.  Looks
like these others will have to go on my wish list too!

Thanks Clarence, for the recommendations on these.  I have limited gardening
space (who doesn't?) and I'm already predisposed to beardless irises and
species, so I have to make sure that the beardeds that I grow are worth
their space in the garden (i.e. rebloomers and/or great growers and
performers). :)  I can see that I'll be giving some away some of my beardeds
next year at the local auction or using them in trades with others. Gotta
make room for more Louisianas, Siberians, and species!:)

Yes, life was good in the South (southeastern U.S.) today and Santa was very
nice as well. Santa ordered me "The World of Irises" and brought me a Far
Side calendar and a huge coffee mug among other things!  I've read "The
World of Irises" already, but I look forward to getting my own copy so that
I can have a ready reference for my many questions.

I just finished Currier McEwen's book "The Siberian Iris" (my own copy that
I recently purchased) and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a
very well organized and well written book with good information for a
beginner on the culture and hybridization of siberians. This book isn't as
picturesque as I'd hoped, but what iris book ever has enough pictures to
soothe the savage irisarian?:) However, the book is filled with good
cultural information and is pretty much timeless since it doesn't rely
heavily on references to varieties in current vogue or commerce. I recommend
this book heartily to anyone with an interest in siberian irises.

Donald Mosser

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
USDA Zone 7b-8