Re: Copyright law

In a message dated 23/12/96  13:47:45, Linda wrote:

<< So every time we respond to a post (following suggestions and guidelines
for
 keeping form confusing everyone unnecessarily) by including part of the post
 we are responding to, we should theoretically ask permission? : <  I thought
 it was ok, as long as it 1) isn't for profit, 2) isn't excessive (whatever
 that means), and 3) credits the source (hence, we add who made the original
 post, if we can still remember)

 May I quote you? : )

There are exceptions in UK law for "personal" use - you may copy provided it
is not for redistribution or profit. Otherwise, students and researchers
would not be allowed to copy pages from library books and so forth. But I
think strict interpretation of the law would include the listserve as
redistribution, but I can not imagine anyone making a fuss about it in the
context of the listserve.
And you are welcome to quote me!! (provided it is something sensible that I
have said, and not something I have come to regret!!!!!!!!!) :-)

Graham Spencer
croftway@aol.com
Cold, bright and sunny again - no snow for Xmas.