Re: Shakespeare?

>In a message dated 24/12/96  04:55:44, Patricia writes
>
><< Iris is the messenger of the gods...not much to do with irises>>

	Graham answered:

>I beg to differ - I was taught that Iris (the plants) were named for Iris
>(the heavenly messenger) because Iris (the messenger) travelled from heaven
>to earth on a rainbow, and the rainbow flower (the Iris) would grow wherever
>the rainbow touched the ground.

	Ellen has the last (?) word.:-)))

	Graham is *almost* right :-)). as is Patricia.

	The iris is named after the Greek Goddess of the Rainbow or
Messenger
	of the Gods, who was depicted as "A radiant maiden borne in swift
	flight on golden wings. Among her duties was that of leading the souls
	of dead women to the Elysian fields, and as a token of that faith the
	Greeks planted *purple iris* on the graves of women", according to
	Hollingsworth in his `Flower Chronicles'.

	taken from Irises by Susan Berry, p. 11

	In this scene in question from Henry VI, Queen Margaret is talking
	 to her lover in great sorrow as he is exiled to France. Royalty
	 and irises date back to at least the 6th century AD to the time of
	Clovis I, King of the Franks......I won't go into the story of his
	 life being saved by irises (as the legend goes - but I will
	 post if anyone is interested).

	Irises were planted on graves from Yemen to England in the Middle
	Ages....and I think that Queen `Meg' was referring to her finding
	Suffolk's grave or planting an iris on it...but who knows.

	Being a romantic, I can dream....

	Peace to you all,

	Ellen Gallagher  e_galla@moose.ncia.net

Ellen Gallagher