Re: Shakespeare?

At 05:38 AM 12/24/96 -0700, you wrote:
>In a message dated 24/12/96  04:55:44, Patricia writes
>
><< Iris is the messenger of the gods...not much to do with irises>>
>

>I beg to differ - I was taught that Iris (the plants) were named for Iris
>(the heavenly messenger) because Iris (the messenger) travelled from heaven
>to earth on a rainbow, and the rainbow flower (the Iris) would grow wherever
>the rainbow touched the ground.  >Graham Spencer

Graham, no disagreement. I  did not express myself well!  I just meant in
the quoted line the queen was not referring to a flower, but rather a
messenger or spy, as you stated.  Isn't that a beautiful legend of how the
iris spreads as the rainbow touches the ground!  We too have no rainbows
today, just clear, blue skies and lots of Texas sunshine.

Patricia Roberson, in Goldthwaite, Texas, wishing "ya'll" a very merry
Christmas and a most happy new year!