Re: Shakespeare/Longfellow

Graham asks...
>I'm not too well up on Shakespeare (we only studied MacBeth (I'm not
>superstitous) and Romeo and Juliet at school - loved MacBeth!) but I have
>heard a quote by Longfellow - "Thou art the iris, fair among the fairest". I
>think we can all agree with that, but does anyone know which of Longfellow's
>works this quote is taken from?

This comes from Longfellow's Flower-de-Luce.

Walter Stager's 'Tall Bearded Iris (FLEUR-DE-LIS) A Flower Of Song'
privately published, Sterling Illinois, 1922 is the best reference in this
area. Although it was printed by what we now know as a Vanity press, the
run must have been very large as it is easily found at reasonable prices.

I hope to get a bibliography on the HIPS web page, real soon?! Back issues
of ROOTS have excellent reviews on older iris references in Clarence
Mahan's continuing articles; "Diamonds in the Dust," "More Diamonds in the
Dust," et al. I may add the series to the HIPS page although articles to
date tend to cover the more esoteric (and interesting!) publications. I
hope to see a "Basic Reference Shelf" article from Clarence in the new
year. [Hint, hint! 8-;]

Best regards,

Mike,  mikelowe@tricities.net   --   http://www.tricities.net/~mikelowe/
South Central Virginia, USA
USDA Zone 7A, pH-5.4,  very sandy loam
185 to 205 frost free growing days per year
Currently +12 inches of rain over yearly average and gaining nearly every
day! No snow, yet.