Re: Shakespeare?

  Jim Wilson wrote:

>For wheresoe'er thou art in this world's globe,
>I'll have an Iris that shall find thee out.
>                --King Henry VI, Act 3, Scene 2

>His crest that prouder than blue iris bends.
>                --Troilus and Cressida, Act 1, Scene 3
>The many-colour'd iris, rounds thine eye?
>                --All's Well That Ends Well, Act1, Scene 3

	And also in The Tempest, Act 4, Scene 1, there is a character
	called "iris" along with the wood nymphs and a character called
	"Juno" --- heavily classical :-))

	But Iris actually has some lines that bear inclusion in this little
	synopsis of the Bard & irises:

	 from The Tempest:

	IRIS - ....Where thou thyself dost air;--the queen o' the sky,
	       Whose watery arch and messenger am I,
	       Bids thee leave these, and with her sovereign grace,
	       Here on this grass-plot, in this very place,
	       To come and sport: her peacocks fly amain:
	       Approach, rich Ceres, her to entertain.

	CERES - (speaking to Iris) Hail, many-colour'd messenger....
		.....Who with thy saffron wings upon my flowers
	  	Diffusest honey-drops, refreshing showers,
		And with each end of thy blue bow dost crown
		My bosky acres and my unshrubb'd down,
		Rich scarf to my proud earth; why hath thy queen
		Summon'd me hither, to this short-grass'd green?

	(There is more from Iris but she is a many colour'd messenger with
 	 a blue bow and is called a queen :-))

	Warning - this is a fantasy play and is one of Shakespeare's weirdest,
	  IMHO :-))

	Happy Holidays,

Ellen Gallagher