Re: No. of fans and stalks? Shakespeare?CITY OF STRATFRD

The question was addressed to Chris but I have to chime in because I lived in
Stratford in l951 and 51. I knew William Miles, the hybridizer of the iris
CITY OF STRATFORD, and visited his garden several times. This iris is noted
for its excellent growth habits. The '49 Check List doe s not describe it
except for R7D, and lists "46 as its entry into the iris world. I recall it
as a reddish iris, slightly bitoned.  Mr. Miles' greatest achievment in this
color area was  VICE REGAL. '47,  which is listed as Groff. Mr. Groff of
Simcoe employed Mr. Miles as hybridizer.  Lloyd Zurbrigg, Durham, N.C. Zone
7.5