No. of fans and stalks? Shakespeare?

1. If a rhizome has five fans, does that mean that the iris will produce
five stalks during one growing season or five stalks eventually? Is there
any way to promote early stalk growth from the fans? What determines how
soon stalks will spring from a fan? Sun, warmth,  nutrient or just
maturity?  (P.S. I hope these are not dumb questions.)

2. Did Wm. Shakespeare ever write anything about irises?

>From Clark in Pasadena where a couple of weeks ago we have had the
Pineapple Express storm system (alot of warm rain and mist) and now an
Alaskan Winter Storm which may drop snow on the Mountains five miles away.
My problem with this normal funny weather is pulling the smothering oxalis
from the iris bed because they cover everthing. But they dazzle in the
spring with brilliant yellow flowers.