Re: off topic-photography??

At 09:48 PM 12/20/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a photography problem.  I am not a photography buff, as a
>matter of fact I think I would probably fall into the klutz category.  I
>think there is a chance that I have messed up the numerous settings on
>my camera but am hoping one of you "aces" out there can give me a hint.
>My camera is a Pentax K1000, manually operated.  (I was told manual
>would be easier for a rank beginner.)  I am using a 200 speed film.
>Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7

I have the same camera that you have and I'm very pleased with it. BTW, I
got mine on discount at Wal-Mart for about $100.00 a few years back.  I'm
not a photo pro either, but here's my advice for what it's worth.

You need to look inside the paper box in which the film came packed.  The
Kodak film box I have gives the appropriate manual camera settings for that
speed of film on the inside lid.  On the Kodacolor Gold 400 film box that
I'm looking at right now:

Cloudy bright (no shadows) conditions would be 1/500 sec and
the appropriate F stop should be somewhere around 5.6
(note this is for the 400 speed film without a flash, 200 speed film will
have different settings)

Using a flash unit could necessitate altering these settings somewhat. My
flash gives the subject distance and F stop setting for each type of film on
the back of the flash unit.  In the example (400 speed) above, I would set
the F stop for 8 at a subject distance of 17 feet and ignore the light meter
inside the viewer window. These settings would be specific for the size and
brand flash that you were using.

If you would like some more instructions on where the settings on the camera
are located and how to change them, I'd be glad to give them to you in plain
english.  Just e-mail me off list.

Donald Mosser
North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
Zone 7b-8