dutch irises

I have just joined this list. Having read the first few messages I can
see that you folks know an awful lot about irises! I also pulled up the
list of subscribers and saw quite a few co-"horts" from my Gardens-L days.
I would like to foster a bed of Dutch irises here in zone 5; sweltering
hot and humid in the summer, -15 deg F in the winter, and clay type
soils.  It is my understanding from my readings that they need to get hot
and dry in the summer, need excellent drainage, and are only reliably
hardy to zone 6. I've noticed that gardens in this area that are
planted in raised beds with thick creek rock surrounding the bed seem to be
about a month ahead in spring development. So I have found a place on the
south side of my house on the peak of a slope, which I am thinking of
further embanking with rock, and trying to provide the right environment
for Dutch irises. However, I have not seen anyone else growing them
around here. If there is anyone on this list that grows Dutch irises, I
would really appreciate it if you could share with me what has worked for
you, and what hasn't.  Thank you! Judy Sylvester, south central Indiana