Re: Dutch Irises

jlsylves wrote:

> I have just joined this list. So I have found a place on the
> south side of my house on the peak of a slope, which I am thinking of
> further embanking with rock, and trying to provide the right environment
> for Dutch irises. However, I have not seen anyone else growing them
> around here. If there is anyone on this list that grows Dutch irises, I
> would really appreciate it if you could share with me what has worked for
> you, and what hasn't.  Thank you! Judy Sylvester, south central Indiana

Judy,

Welcome to the List!  I really can't help you much with dutch iris in
your climate, but I thought I'd let you know how they do here.  Our
climate in central California seems practically ideal for them.  They
require such low maintenance as do most of the bulbs.  I plant in fall
and early winter(still planting).  I usually do not dig the required
planting depth recommended as our climate is mild, seldom going below
25F during winter.  Below the bulbs I use a mix of compost and garden
soil with some commercial granular fertilizer mixed in.  About 2 inches
of this.  I cover the bulbs with garden soil.  I will give a top
dressing of commercial fertilizer (I use 6-20-20) again in early
spring.  And again in the fall after they are established.  The bulbs do
not get a bit of water from mid-April thru mid-October.  Thats the
climate here.  They love it.  They come back each year looking better
than the last.  I have different kinds, some named others not.  One
unknown that is particularly vigorous is a mid-blue, and large.  I have
it planted against a fence around the house.  Quite dramatic.

I would guess that for your climate drainage would be an important
factor.  Try to keep them as dry as you can during the summer.  I
remember growing them in Virginia with limited success.  Not nearly as
vigorous as here.

Rick Tasco
Central California, down a winding country lane amid the wildflowers,
hawks, and butterflies.
Temp went down to 30F last night.  Coldest night this winter.
Zone 8.5