Intro/Cold Climate Iris Growing

Hello to all!  I just found this list today and was so happy to see it
exists.  I am interested in beginning some serious iris gardening and
decided to make a winter hobby out of researching the subject.

I live in western New York state in the "snow belt" south of Buffalo.
As a matter of fact, we are in the grip of the first serious blizzard
of the season.  Since yesterday afternoon, we have received over three
feet of new snow and it's still coming down. (The ski resorts around
here are thrilled!)  The wind chill right now is -23 F because winds
are peaking near 40 mph. I live on the top of a hill where we really
feel the effects of the wind.  My first question is -- What are the
best (hardy) types of iris to grow in this harsh climate?

I have a heavy clay soil on my property and would also like to know
what is the best way to prepare it for iris?

I'm up for the challenge!

Gale VerHague
Forestville, New York