Re: Where in CA??

Wild Willie's Ranch wrote:

> Hi Rick.........I am also new to this list and new to gardening in the
> Mojave Desert. I am still planting bulbs and don't feel so bad about it
> since you are also. Where in Central CA if you don't mind my asking.
> Diane
> Diane Keith-Williams
> Mighty Warm Wishes                     Ridgecrest, CA 93555-2606>    aka Vulture Haven,
> located in the middle of nowhere
> on the Mojave Desert  adjacent to             USDA zone 08
> a dry lakebed!                                 Sunset zone 11
>  Home for me is halfway between Death Valley and Mt. Whitney.
> dianekw@ridgecrest.ca.us

Home for me is in Mariposa County, the home of Yosemite National Park.
I live about 45 miles downhill from one of the entrance gates of
Yosemite.  Exact location is Cathey's Valley--dare you to find that on
your map!!  It's right off Highway 140, 25 miles West of Merced, and 15
miles East of Mariposa.

It's a "town" (and I use that term rather loosely) of about 320 people
in the lower Sierra Nevada foothills at an elevation of about 1,250
feet.  We usually get about 20 to 30 frosty nights a winter, with the
coldest night being usually around 25F.  But NO snow!!  In the 6 years
I've lived here, we had snow flurries only once and it didn't stick to
the ground at all!  But I don't have to drive far up the hill to see

Mariposa County has about 15,000 population in the whole county, which
is about the size of Rhode Island, and NO traffic signals in the entire
county!  Our largest town and county seat is the city of Mariposa,
population 1,700!

I was recently down through part of the Mojave Desert en route to LA,
spent a night in the Lancaster-Palmdale area.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but you can tell I love this area and am
proud to brag about it to anyone!  And... you asked........

Happy Holidays to one and all.........

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Zone 8.5