Re: Declining vigor

Diana Louis wrote:
> Would it be helpful (to the irises) to put on alfalfa pellets. Are
> these known to help stop this loss of vigour?

It would'nt hurt to use alfalpa pellets.  Alfalpa pellets contain a
growth stimulant called Triacontanol.  Use the pellets as an additive
and incorporate "into" the soil to a depth of at least six inches.

Also, if your going to purchase an expensive variety or one you just
must see growing in your garden next year, then plant it in an area that
has "clean soil".  Definition being soil that has never grown iris
before (virgin soil) or soil that has been solarized/fumigated.
Incorporate additives if you must (with clean soil you probably will not
need any).  In your area I would plant early.  The earlier the better.
Keep damp (if no rain) so a nice root structure is formed and cover
with  marsh hay the first winter.  Using this culture you should be able
to even grow West Coast iris.

Rick Tasco
Central California in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas.
Zone 8.5