Re: Alive and wondering...

>WHY don't irises and perennials freeze?  What keeps their little leaves from
>turning to mush like annuals and expensive houseplants?

Sharon A. Ruck

Sharon, I asked my husband, who tries to keep up with everything scientific,
and he thought that irises and other plants that do not freeze have a higher
concentration of sugar (or other substances) in the sap.  These substances
act like anti-freeze.  He had read an article in SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN;  he
couldn't recall when but thought within the last three years.

I apologize to all for this weather.  I caused it by "gloating" last
Saturday over the fact that winter was "perfect" here and I had the
airconditioning on.  Boy, is it ever on today!!!

Patricia Roberson, in Goldthwaite, Texas, where it's colder than the north
end of a southbound polar bear!
patrob@centex.net