Virtual Xmas Party preparations

Hello folks.  I'm still collecting your descriptions of your favorite holiday
decorations, foods & drinks, snacks, activities, songs.  Today I'm going out
to order the goose, and will make phone calls to arrange for some venison.

The Party needs someone who has iris in bloom to describe a Fresh Iris/floral
arrangement/display for the corner or entrance way.  Would anyone like to
try a garland with fresh iris??  Any one in the South, or West who has Iris
in bloom please get to it!! Time is short!!

As a preview, here is the goose recipe I'll be using:

Cooking a Goose is similar to cooking Ducks.
6-8 people  5Kg goose
wash inside with salt water,
Stuffing ( Danish ) rather bitter apple pieces mixed with stone free
Stuffing ( English ) sage and onion, Apple sauce goes well with a goose.
Cooking time 3-4 hours. I like to twist the leg bone and if the bone comes
away clean the bird is done
                                    I do it for all types of poultry.
Temp. Start 210 c until the bird is brown then sink to 175c
The bird.
Prick the skin, not too deep other wise the fat runs into the flesh and not
Place on a rist (if one has one ) in the oven tray, start cooking with the
back up for roughly half an hour then lay the bird on it's back and finish
cooking, I have a little water in the tray at the start then I make a roux
and  remove the fat from the tray and use the residues for a rather thick
sauce ( GRAVY )
Some people have Orange gravy with goose but it's not me, maybe pieces of
orange but not gravy.
Sage and onion stuffing, I buy that when I am in England,
but I do have a recipe for that.
350 g Onions
50 g Butter, melted
75 g soft bread crumbs
 2 teaspoons chopped Sage.
salt and pepper
1 egg (optional )
Simmer the onions in a LITTLE water  with seasoning for 15 minutes (not to
big onions)
Strain and chop.
Mix with the rest of the ingredients.
Bind with the egg OR onion stock ( from boiling the water ) on can use any
meat stock.
I hope that the above can be of some help, but there is not a lot of
difference between a duck or goose.

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY