Declining vigor

I think the List may have touched on this topic before, perhaps in
conjunction with something else.  But I wonder why some cultivars grow and
bloom like gangbusters the first year after purchase, then seem to get a
little weaker each year.  This happens in spite of dividing and
transplanting the clumps after two or three years.  Is this something
inherent in the cultivar, or is it due to garden conditions?  Some
cultivars, as we all know, simply die or rot immediately, an indication that
they do not like their new home.  But why do some do well the firs year and
then die or rot?

Julie Allen  jwallen@blomand.net  Sparta, TN, where I know for sure that
many West Coast iris are unhappy from the time they arrive, but some wait a
while before committing suicide