Re: Declining Vigor

jwallen@blomand.net wrote:

> I think the List may have touched on this topic before, perhaps in
> conjunction with something else.  But I wonder why some cultivars grow and
> bloom like gangbusters the first year after purchase, then seem to get a
> little weaker each year.  This happens in spite of dividing and
> transplanting the clumps after two or three years.  Is this something
> inherent in the cultivar, or is it due to garden conditions?  Some
> cultivars, as we all know, simply die or rot immediately, an indication that
> they do not like their new home.  But why do some do well the firs year and
> then die or rot?

Julie,

I don't presume to know your particular garden culture and local
conditions which are important in formulating an answer to the above.
However, I do know that the "bud set" happens in the six weeks following
bloom.  When you receive a new rhizome this means that its already
programmed to bloom for you the next year.  After that its acclimated to
your area and will perform according to the local conditions.  Usually!

When you divide your iris do you transplant in the same area or a new
area?  If the same area, do you recondition it?  How often do you
fertilize?

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8.5