Re: Multiple Stalks

Mike Lowe wrote:

:  It is significant that MARY RANDALL (Fay 51) appears numerous times in
:  multi-stalkers that have well documented backgrounds.

Very interesting, as this was one of the varieties we experimented with in very
different soils.  It put up multiple stalks most often in the low-nitrogen,
high-phosphorous soil -- not in the better balanced soil that normally produced
much better TB growth bloom.

Clarence mentioned earlier that his clump of  __________ (sorry, don't remember
the name) not only put up multiple stalks, but also bloomed out.  We also found
the incidence of bloom-out was highest in the low-nitrogen, high-phosphorous,
low potassium soil.

So is this a coincidence?  Or is there a genetic link between multiple stalks
and the tendency to bloom out.  If so, that would explain why the trait has not
been incorporated in more lines.

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)