Re: Rotten Experiences-- Lengthy
Treatments I've used for rot include both the bleach solution and the
Comet. If it is too bad before I notice or get at it, digging and a
soaking in strong bleach solution (I use about a pt. bleach to 3 pts
water), then a thorough drying before replanting is the only answer.
If I catch it quite soon and don't have to dig up the whole clump, I
use a spoon and/or sharp knife to get rid of the soft junk, then
treat with the bleach. A soak with a spray of bleach solution seems
to work more effectively than the Comet, probably because it's
stronger but also because one doesn't miss any parts of the remaining
rhizome that way. Also it soaks into the soil around the plant.
Zone 4 NW Iowa